Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Buffalo Chili ~ Recipe

For my first attempt at chili, I thought it would be good to do an "outside of the box" style.  While White Chili isn't totally out of the question, it wasn't what I was in the mood for.  I wasn't sure what I wanted, and we ended up pairing it with Gyros for the adults and hot dogs for the kiddos.

A few weeks ago, we stopped at the Silver Bison Ranch on the way home from my parents house and picked up a few pounds of bison meat.  Now, we are not health nuts, but it is the leaner red meat and quite tasty.  You can basically substitute bison meant for beef in any dish and most people won't even notice.

So, I brown the pound of ground bison.  Read the back of the chili powder package and decide, there aren't enough beans or tomatoes in this dish.  So I added another can of beans (I went the lazy route, because we had canned beans and because I was tending to three WHINY girls at the same time as cooking) and a can of tomato sauce.  What started out as a small pot of chili morphed into a large pot of chili.  We probably won't finish it, because only my husband and I will be eating it.  The girls only eat it once, if we're lucky, then it's up to us.  Even though it turned out to be about twice as much as I intended to make, it was tasty!

Buffalo Chili
1 pound of ground bison mean
1 package of Ortega Chili Seasoning
1 can (14 ounces or so) of diced tomatoes
1 can (14 ounces or so) of tomato sauce
2 cans (14 ounces or so) of dark red kidney beans

Brown bison meat in a skillet.
In a large sauce pan or stew pot, mix together the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Add bison meat and boil for a minute.  Reduce heat and simmer for at least ten (10) minutes.  Keep on lowest heat setting  until ready to serve.

Garnish with cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes and/or avocado, or guacamole...or whatever else you weird people put on chili.

Enjoy!