Friday, November 8, 2013

Secret Subject Swap ~ November

Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week, 12 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts. 

My subject is "What is your secret talent?"  It was submitted by Follow me home...  Here goes: 

My secret talent is NOT a secret, but many of you probably did not know that LOVE music.  I sing and play the piano.  I majored in Music Education in college, until I realized that I do not like other people's kids.  Then I decided that was not a good option.

The history of Music and Me:
Age 3~started taking violin lessons; the Suzuki version.
Age 4~started taking piano lessons; both the Learning Tree and Suzuki versions.
Age 6~started playing the viola, because the violin was "too shreaky" for my precious ears, but still kept up the lessons and played both instruments in orchestra through middle school.
Age 10~started playing the clarinet, I wanted to play the flute, but a clarinet was given to us and my Grandpa offered a saxophone {which was too boy-ish}.
Age 12~landed the lead role in a musical, "Phantom of the Op'ry" and I still remember all the words to the songs.  I was hooked on singing from this point.
Age 13~was cast in my first professional touring performance...and it was PAID!
Age 15~auditioned for a role in West Side Story at my high school, was passed up for the role of Maria, but got to audition with THE Josh Hartnett {to this day, I'm sure his hotness was the reason I didn't get the part}.
Age 16~went to the University of Minnesota for voice and a few other subjects, but still had my core subjects still at my high school.
Age 17~I had my first paying piano student!  Yay me!
Age 18~now attending college, I had a fantastic Music Theory professor {who taught the J-term class when I went to Austria and Germany to learn about Music History, phenomenal course} who was an atheist, which was strange only because I went to a Catholic college.
Age 20~I realized that other people's kiddos were NOT my cup of tea...oops

...and now, 12 year later, I still sing and play piano once and a while.  I am thinking about making an album for my mom for Christmas, but I don't know if I have time.  Maybe I will start it this year and give it to her next year.  It's hard because I don't have a piano at home anymore.  Hopefully that will change in the near future.  I would love to teach the Beanie Babies how to play.  It would also be nice to be able to teach other kiddos how to play piano.  For some reason, only 20-45 minutes at a time with other people's kids doesn't freak me out as much as the thought of a whole day in school or seeing them randomly in a store ;)

So, do you have any musical talent?  What is your "secret" talent?  I'd love to hear from you, leave a comment below, then visit the other swappers!


Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.  Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:
The Sadder But Wiser Girl              

Facebook ** Twitter ** Google+ ** Pinterest ** Bloglovin'