Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 3 of my 30 Day Challenge


Day 3: Describe your relationship with your parents.

Currently, I have a great relationship with my parents.  It has been tumultuous at times, but we are in a good place now.

I was adopted when I was 5 months old, from South Korea.  My parents had tried for several years to conceive, but it did not work out.  Some people say that adoptees cannot possibly be well-adjusted individuals, not knowing who their biological parents are.  I say those people are out of their minds.  I am as adjusted as the guy next to me (who happens to be my husband, and I suppose he’s well-adjusted).  When I was little, I used to say something mean and hurtful to my parents about needing to “find my REAL parents”.  Now that I’m a parent, I see how hurtful that was.  At the time, I just wanted to get my way and that was the best way to get it.  I have apologized to my parents for all the hurtful things I said and did about wanting to find my biological parents.  I no longer have the desire to find them.  I have no need.  Understand this, I know that could change, but realistically, there are billions of people in South Korea and a random two are my biologicals…yea, ‘cuz that would be easy to find (talk about a needle in a haystack).

Anyhow, the basic point is that all children and parents go through rough patches; it’s how it all turns out in the end.  Right now, we are going on a fantastic track.  To me, we are heading down the right road.