Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 4 of My 30 Day Challenge


Day 4: List 5 things you would tell your 16 year-old self if you could.

1)  Driving isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.  Don’t get me wrong, I would be sad if I didn’t know how to drive, but you’ll be driving for the rest of your life (God permitted) so why rush things?  You suck at it at first, even though in your mind you’re fan-freakin’-tastic at it, but really?  You’re not.  Hopefully, you’ll learn from mistakes and get better.  Some won’t. 
2)  College will come soon enough.  In fact, it will come next year.  I was always friends with people a grade or two (or three) older than me.  My most memorable friendship in high school was actually my ASL lab partner at the U of M.  She was a senior at the University.  My high school only had Spanish classes up to level five, which I completed my sophomore year, so I was able to study it at the University for my junior year.  Most of my classes the second half of my junior year and all of my senior year were at the U of M.  I only had English and Psychology at the high school.
3)  Money doesn’t grow on trees, so quit spending it stupidly.  Having been in financial trouble and trying to get out of debt, this one is important for me to get into my children’s heads.  I don’t want them to get into the same financial issues that I have been through.  In the end, I do acknowledge that it was entirely my fault, but it sure would be nice if stores and credit companies would stop pushing credit cards down young people’s throats.
4)  Your metabolism will stop being good to you.  After being 135 pounds for all of my high school and college careers, standing at a short 5’2” and 169 pounds is a kick in the @**.  I like food.  I will not stop eating to get skinny, but I do need to loose around forty pounds…someday…
5) YOU’LL GET OVER HIM!  I dated this guy; with who I was madly in love with.  He was my first love.  When he broke up with me, I felt like my life was over.  Now, this break up was probably the worst in my life.  I had to see him most of the school day because almost all of our classes were together.  Then, about a week later, my Grandma died.  She was the person in my extended that I was closest with.  After her death, the relationship with my Grandpa was never the same (probably my only BIG regret in life was how our relationship was when he passed, it wasn’t bad, it just WAS…).

Life is hard as a 16 year old, why do we make it more complicated?  It’s simple.  Life goes on.  While we think it is ending, our elders know better and as they say, “hind-sight is 20/20”!